Offer: Associate Director, Research Finance:Western University
Associate Director, Research Financeby Western University
Reference #: 24907
Employment type: Full-time
Job location: London, ON
Date Published: Jan 22, 2022
practice: 8 Years
suitable education University Degree
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western practice" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Financial Services aims to provide effective financial leadership abilities, services, information and stewardship in support of the academic, research and service activities of Western’s community.
The Associate Director, Research Finance is a key senior leadership abilities function in Financial Services and provides support to the Director with a focus on advancing operational practices, system functionality and the enhancement of central oversight for the research funds awarded to Western and its researchers. The Associate Director will support the research mission of Western by providing financial guidance and advice to many stakeholders at the University including AVPs, Directors, Finance Managers, Financial agents, Administrative staff and researchers. The Associate Director will also provide leadership abilities and support to the Research Finance team in the management of post-award, financial activities through the development and implementation of effective and efficient policies and processes. In addition, the Associate Director will design and update practices, identify opportunities for improvements, and implement financial oversight to ensure compliance with university and sponsor policies, while providing guidance and operational oversight for all foreign funding to ensure knowledge and application of applicable regulations.
- Undergraduate Degree in a related field (Finance, Accounting, Business Administration)
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- 7 years of financial accounting practice including financial report preparation
- 5 years’ practice leading process reviews, change management initiatives and special projects
- practice in a public sector and/or Not-For-Profit sector preferred
- practice with Government reporting preferred
- practice at a research-intensive institution would be an asset preferred
- Previous practice working with PeopleSoft Financials would be an asset preferred
- practice with systems development and data visualization (e.g. Kibana, Power BI) preferred
Knowledge, expertise & Abilities:
- Demonstrated analytical capability with a sound knowledge of accounting principles
- Demonstrated commitment to ethical and moral values in support of the University
- Knowledge of control frameworks and proper control procedures
- Knowledge of enterprise-wide risk management and the capability to analyze exposures and make recommendations to decrease financial risk
- capability to provide strategic analysis and recommendations for designing and implementing new administrative and financial processes
- capability to create and build relationships and work effectively with internal and external stakeholders, including peers and colleagues, and others at all levels of the organization
- Sound judgement, analytical and problem-solving expertise with a consultative and collaborative approach to covering opportunities and issues in a timely manner
- Task oriented with high regard for work ethic in getting work done, accurately and in a timely manner
- Strong client focus with a desire to achieve results
- capability to deal confidentially with information that has financial, political, regulatory and reputational implications
- capability to prioritize and supervise multiple projects in a fast-paced environment with changing deadlines
- capability to evaluate projects against their objectives to ensure the desired results will be achieved in the established timeframes
- Advanced computer expertise in Microsoft Office Suite, with knowledge of spreadsheet and database software and auditing strategies for financial transaction data
- Strong negotiation expertise to confer with different parties with vested interests
- Strong communication expertise with the capability to converse with, write reports for, and deliver presentations to all levels of the organization
Interested candidates are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca For more information and to apply online reference job #24907 by midnight on February 10, 2022.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for candidates with disabilities all over the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, Contact Us by Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.